Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
An Indonesian Air Force CASA CN A-2909 plane was shot at by a faction of the National Liberation Army of West Papua (TPNPB) while flying over Serambakon district in Pegunungan Bintang regency, Papua, at 4,800 feet on Monday.The plane, which had taken off from Jayapura, was shot at on Monday at 8:50 a.m. local time.“The plane managed to land in the capital of Pegunungan Bintang, Oksibil, but five holes were found on the plane’s body,” Cenderawasih Military Command spokesperson Lt. Col. Eko Daryanto said on Monday as quoted by kompas.com. Eko said the plane was not heavily damaged and could still function.The TPNPB took responsibility through its spokesperson, Sebby Sambom, who resides in Papua New Guinea.”The headquarters of TPNPB is responsible for the shooting. This war will continue,” Sebby said in a press release seen by The Jakarta Post on Monday. He claimed that the plane had been transporting military and police personnel to Oksibil.Sila Papare Airfield commander Air Commodore Tri Bowo, however, said the plane was carrying 3 tons of foodstuff and other materials owned by the Pegunungan Bintang regency administration. Eko said this was not the first shooting to take place in Pegunungan Bintang recently. On March 2, trucks belonging to a state-owned enterprise were shot at by an armed group in Oksop district.Papua has seen an escalating number of shootings since the beginning of the year. Shootings happened in several regions, such as Nduga regency, Intan Jaya, Mimika, Pegunungan Bintang and Keerom.Cenderawasih Military Command deputy head Lt. Col. Inf Dax Sianturi said he believed the armed groups were conducting the shootings to thwart two national events that would be held in Papua this year, namely the regional elections and the National Games (PON). (aly)Topics :
Guus Warringa, former general counsel at Dutch asset manager APG, has joined international investor law firm Grant & Eisenhofer (G&E). During his seven-year tenure at the €424bn asset manager, Warringa helped European pension funds to challenge the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR), as well as controversial European Commission proposals to levy a financial transaction tax (FTT).On behalf of APG’s main client, the €356bn civil service pension fund ABP, Warringa also played a leading role in lawsuits against Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse over the alleged mis-selling of collateralised debt obligations prior to the financial crisis.All of these cases were settled in 2013. Jay Eisenhofer and Stuart Grant, G&E’s co-founders and managing directors, said Warringa was a “tremendous addition” to the company.“His extensive experience and vigorous activism on behalf of institutional investors will be an incredible assets to our client base,” they said.Warringa said the law firm provided an “excellent platform” to continue his work on behalf of pension funds and other institutional investors, which have become “much more vocal and active in recent years”.“Joining G&E provides me with the opportunities to further support that process and strengthen the investors’ possibilities,” he added.Prior to joining APG, Warringa served as general counsel at Euronext Amsterdam.He has also held senior international positions within the NYSE Euronext group.Warringa started his career in private practice as a mergers and acquisitions lawyer.He holds a law degree from Leiden University and a Masters degree from Cambridge University.US-based G&E represents institutional investors from across the globe in securities class actions, derivatives lawsuits and financial litigation matters.
Sharing is caring! Share 75 Views no discussions BBC News Tweet Share Hosni Mubarak is reported to be in ill healthEgypt’s public prosecutor has issued a travel ban on ousted President Hosni Mubarak and his family.The order also freezes their money and assets, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office said.Mr Mubarak stepped down on 11 February, after almost 30 years in power, in the wake of mounting public protests.He is believed to be living in his villa in Sharm el-Sheikh but in poor health, and has not been seen or heard of publicly since stepping down.Mr Mubarak handed power to the military, which appointed an interim government to write a new constitution and hold elections.The prosecutor’s office said the travel ban and asset freeze was issued while complaints – which were not specified – against the Mubarak family were being investigated, Reuters news agency reported.The order applies to Mr Mubarak, his wife Suzanne, their two sons Ala and Gamal and their wives.Fortune deniedEgypt has already requested a number of governments to freeze the overseas assets of the Mubarak family.Protesters and anti-corruption campaigners have been pressing for an investigation into the Mubarak family’s assets, put at anywhere from $1bn to $70bn (£616m-£43bn).However, Mr Mubarak’s legal representative has denied reports that the former president amassed a fortune while in office.Three of Mr Mubarak’s former officials have been charged with corruption-related offences: former ministers of interior Habib al-Adly, tourism Zuhair Garana, and housing Ahmed al-Maghrabi.Justice officials said on Sunday that Mr Adly would face trial on money laundering charges from 5 March. News Hosni Mubarak: Egypt’s former leader given travel ban by: – February 28, 2011 Share
The supposed treasure hunting permitee, Noly Laquihon Bayogos, wasalso nowhere in sight. ILOILO – The National Museum of the Philippines has stopped thetreasuring hunting in Barangay Pasong, Igbaras, Iloilo. Esmeralda thanked the National Museumfor acting fast but he remained concerned. There were no more diggers around. They may have gotten wind ofthe inspection. Under the law, all treasure hunting permits and licenses shall beissued by the National Museum of the Philippines. “This Office (also) reserves the right to (take) appropriate legalaction against you without prejudice to other agencies’ right to file an actionunder their mandates and for people or properties largely affected by yourillegal activities,” added Barns. The excavation reached some 80 meters deep, said Esmeralda. The cease and desist order was issued by National Museumdirector-general Jeremy Barns. Personnel of the National Museum of the Philippines check the mouth of this deep treasure hunting excavation in Barangay Pasong, Igbaras, Iloilo. Under the law, treasure hunting permits and licenses are issued by the National Museum. This one in Barangay Pasong has no permit, according to the museum. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN The cease and desist order from the National Museum was now ineffect, declared Honey Beso, chief of the National Museum-operated WesternVisayas Regional Museum who led the inspection team. The local government of Igbaras recently inquired with theNational Museum if it had issued a treasure hunting permit to Bayogos coveringthe property owned by Leonora Escuriasa. Nearby households feared theexcavations would have adverse geological impact such as landslide, soilerosion and the earth caving in. Esmeralda urged village residents toremain vigilant and inform local authorities if the diggers return to resumethe excavation. The permit in the possession of Bayogos, CPD-THP-2019-20 datedJune 1, 2019, was in fact issued to somebody else – Leovigilda Uson / FranciscoS. Dela Fuente on May 28, 2019 for Sitio Lanod, Barangay Punean, Carangalan,Nueva Ecijca, according to Barns. According to Barns, Bayogos could be charged with violation ofRepublic Act No. 10066, the National Cultural Heritage Act of 2009. “Basimagmunog ang ulan kag magluntad angsoil erosion,” he said. Together with Ej Peralta and Alan Arriola of the National Museum’sCultural Properties Regulation Division, Beso inspected the excavation area incoordination with Mayor Jaime Esmeralda. It sent a team to check the excavation site yesterday – a privatelot on a hilly portion of Barangay Pasong. The National Museum chief also ordered Bayogos to rehabilitate theexcavated area./PN Villagers said Escuriasa was longer residing in Barangay Pasong;she moved to Guimbal town. Violators of the National Museum’s cease and desist order would bearrested, said Esmeralda. According to Barns, the treasure hunting for alleged Yamashitatreasure was “unauthorized and considered illegal.”
North Decatur High School Girls Varsity Golf beat Knightstown High School 0-222.Even without a full team Thursday evening at North Branch, it was still a fantastic night for the team. Some hilights include not one but two personal bests rounds from Laronda Schwartz and Katy Kinker! Also, Sidney Parmer was only inches short from a hole in one on Bridge hole 2!ND Scoring” Sidney Parmer: 42 (individual medalist), Katy Kinker: 48, Laronda Schwartz: 54.
President Trump will speak at the Turning Point USA conference this Saturday in West Palm Beach.The annual gathering of young conservatives already had an A-list roster of speakers, including Fox News host Sean Hannity, Trump attorney Rudy Giuliani and U.S. Rep. Matt Gaetz., R-Florida.Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk is ardent supporter of the president. In October, Kirk joined the president’s son, Donald Trump, Jr., for a speaking event at the University of Florida.Also on the agenda is Ken Starr, who led the investigation that resulted in the impeachment of President Bill Clinton, as well as Trump Jr., and former White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders.The White House statement read:“On Saturday, Dec. 21, President Donald J. Trump will address Turning Point USA’s 5th annual Student Action Summit in West Palm Beach, FL.While there, the President will speak directly to 3,000 student leaders from across the country to tout his Administration’s accomplishments and priorities.This event occurs on the evening before the two-year anniversary of the passage of the landmark Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which played a role in today’s booming Trump economy that Americans of all ages are benefiting from.
The Niger Tornadoes FC of Minna on Wednesday defeated visiting Mountain of Fire and Miracle (MFM) FC of Lagos by 1-0 in the Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) played in Minna.The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reported that the Match Day 20 was played at the Bako Kontagora Memorial Stadium in Minna.Saraki Ismaila scored the only goal of the encounter in the second minute of the game. The Lagos boys tried in vain to get an equaliser in the first half but the defenders of the home team stopped them with confidence.The second half of the match was filled with intrigues and excitement as both clubs tried to score and show supremacy over the other.Isyaku Iliyasu, the Assistant Coach of Niger Tornadoes, thanked God that the club secured the maximum three points in the game.Iliyasu said that the club takes every match seriously, adding that the club would now work towards winning its remaining two matches before the end of the league to enable it escape relegation.Similarly, Coach Martin Elechi of MFM admitted that the match was a good one but his team lost.Elechi attributed the defeat to injuries which affected some of his key players in their previous matches.He, however, said that the club would now focus on winning its remaining two matches to enable it feature in the Super Six championship.Tornadoes is currently in 10th position on the league table with 20 points, while MFM is in fourth position with 29 points. (NAN)Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
“We are in no way telling you that that he is not an evil, bad \. … The deed itself is the crime,” Perlo said. “But there are some things to be considered in sparing his life.” Deliberations began at the Norwalk Superior Courthouse Monday afternoon. The jury asked for a DVD recording of the defendant about two weeks after the deputy’s murder before deliberations ended for the day. The DVD, which featured prominently earlier in the trial, showed a conversation Orozco had with two friends – a fellow gang member and a gang associate – while they were in a holding cell at the Bellflower Superior Court in July 2005. In the taped conversation, Orozco is laughing and joking about the publicity surrounding the shooting. On June 24, 2005, Ortiz was investigating a shooting that occurred a few days earlier when he chased Orozco into a Hawaiian Gardens apartment complex. As the gang investigator reholstered his weapon to talk to one of Orozco’s friends, a young mother with her small daughters and other adults inside her apartment, Orozco aimed his weapon through a crack in the front door and pulled the trigger. Perlo urged the jury not to dismiss the gravity of a sentence of a life in prison. The term penitentiary, he explained, was created on the idea of penitence; of providing a place in modern society where criminals would be forced to sit and consider their actions. “Each of you must decide if each of you is willing to put your finger on the button of death,” Perlo said. The jury is scheduled to return to deliberations at 9 a.m. today. email@example.com (562) 499-1261. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Most involved in the murder trial thought the panel would need more time to come to a decision on Orozco’s ultimate fate, and whether it will entail a lifetime spent behind bars with no hope of parole or death by lethal injection. The one point attorneys on both sides made clear is the awesome responsibility the jurors now face. Prosecutor Lowell Anger listed dozens of reasons why the penalty should be nothing less than death, noting the calculated murder of Ortiz, a Diamond Bar father of two young boys and newlywed of three weeks, as well as Orozco’s alleged violent criminal history. “What is the appropriate punishment for someone who not only doesn’t show remorse, he revels in his notoriety … whose life is a moral failure \ so much destruction and pain?” Anger asked. Defense Attorney Stan Perlo made no excuses for his client, repeatedly telling the jury his presentation of mitigating factors was not meant to provide justification but merely to explain the circumstances that contributed to the crime, chiefly his client’s indoctrination into the gang lifestyle and his history of drug abuse. NORWALK – Life or death? That decision for convicted killer Jose Luis Orozco was put to a jury of seven men and five women Monday. The same jury took about four hours before finding the 29-year-old Hawaiian Gardens gang member guilty in the ambush murder of Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Jerry Ortiz last month. On March 20, Orozco was found guilty of first-degree murder, attempted murder and two weapons violations, as well as several special-circumstance allegations – murder of a peace officer, murder while lying in wait, murder to avoid arrest, and carrying out the crime to benefit his gang.
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard is prepared to continue his playing career away from Anfield if he is not offered a new deal by the Merseyside club.The 34-year-old, who is nearing 700 appearances in all competitions for the Reds, is out of contract at his boyhood side at the end of the current campaign and is yet to hold talks over an extension.“I can only worry about this season because I’m only contracted until May,” Gerrard said, in an interview with the Daily Mail.“As it stands at the moment, I’m here until the end of the season and want to make the most of it. I certainly won’t be retiring this summer. I will play beyond this season.“We will have to wait and see if that’s at Liverpool or somewhere else. That’s Liverpool’s decision. If they don’t come then I will see what’s out there.”Gerrard also leapt to the defence Mario Balotelli, who has come under-fire having struggled to make a major impact at Anfield following his summer move from AC Milan.Among those to have questioned the Italian’s credentials is Gerrard’s old friend and team-mate Jamie Carragher, who labelled Balotelli as a “panic” buy following the departure of Luis Suarez to Barcelona over the summer.Yet Gerrard said: “You have to respect Jamie’s opinion. He knows football but it’s too early to get on Mario’s back.“He just needs time to score the goals he needs to prove to people he is worthy of staying here. I am not going to judge him after 10 games. To come in after Suarez was always going to be a big ask and he’s not feeling sorry for himself. He is working hard, doing extra shooting sessions.“I’ve actually been impressed (with) the way he goes about his work. You hear all kinds of stories and rumours before you meet him, but he does all the work. I like the guy.” 1 Steven Gerrard