Email Twitter Advertisement NewsLocal NewsMayor gets tough on defaulting developersBy admin – October 8, 2009 534 Previous articleDeath of missionary priest, Father Aengus FinucaneNext article‘Grieving by appointment’ at Croagh cemetery admin Linkedin Facebook Print WhatsApp MAYOR Kevin Kiely, has asked that “no further planning applications be accepted from developers who have not completed previously developed sites. He revealed that there are 92 city housing developments which remain uncompleted.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “We’re talking about unfinished pathways, sewerage piping, lighting, etc, etc, and we keep finding that it’s the same developers that are responsible for a number of developments,” he said.“A few weeks ago, one of these people submitted another application for a further housing development – I’m strongly recommending that this be sent back to him”.Referring to the Stenson Park development which dates back to 1975, the mayor said that despite repeated calls on City Hall officials to “go after the developer” to bring up to standard, broken footpaths, potholed roads etc,” the estate is still officially not completed.“There’s a moral responsibility on these developers – they should not be allowed any new planning permissions”.The mayor’s notice of motion was seconded by Cllr Jim Long.Pointing out that the city council does have the power to refuse an application on the basis of the past history of a developer in not completing estates to standard, director of services, Oliver O’Loughlin, said that it has used that authority on occasion.“We will, however, have further protection shortly, under a new Bill,” he told the mayor.
California’s 2020 rooftop solar mandate gets final approval FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Greentech Media:It’s official. All new homes in California must incorporate solar power starting in 2020.The California Energy Commission (CEC) passed the measure in May as an update to the state’s 2019 Title 24, Part 6, Building Energy Efficiency Standards. On Wednesday, the California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) signed off on the plan— a first of its kind for the nation.The new standards require that all new homes under three stories high install solar panels starting January 1, and that solar systems are sized to net out the annual kilowatt-hour energy usage of the dwelling. The codes also incentivize “demand responsive technologies,” including battery storage and heat pump water heaters. Combined with a host of other energy efficiency upgrades, the revised building codes are expected to slash energy use in new homes by more than 50 percent.Over the past three years, the CEC performed an in-depth analysis on the new rules and gathered official public input from all relevant stakeholders, including utilities, home builders, solar companies, the lighting industry and others. The analysis found that requiring solar would be cost-effective in all climate zones of the state, and that homeowners would save $40 dollars each month, or roughly $500 per year, due to the new rules. The codes are expected to add around $40 per month to a typical mortgage payment, but the costs are outweighed by an expected $80 per month in energy savings.One thing is for sure, the new codes are a win for California’s solar sector. An analysis conducted on behalf of the CEC by Energy and Environmental Economics (E3) found that statewide construction of single-family homes is projected to be 74,154 in 2020, the first year of compliance. Assuming the same number of single-family homes are built over that period, Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables (formerly GTM Research) says sales are expected to increase 14 percent over a four-year timeframe. That amounts to an upside of nearly 650 megawatts-DC compared to WoodMac’s base-case forecast for the residential solar segment.The solar industry currently installs around 150,000 solar systems each year on new and existing homes in California. Today, only 15,000 of those projects are on new dwellings. Starting in 2020, the new home solar market will see an exponential increase.More: California’s rooftop solar mandate wins final approval
In the Republic of the Congo, 12 Ebola cases and 9 deaths were reported in Cuvette Ouest Region between Apr 25 and Jun 16, the WHO said yesterday. Investigators identified 11 possible contacts of the last person to die of Ebola, who died May 26, the WHO said. All of those contacts have been monitored for 21 days, the maximum incubation period for Ebola. The ministry of health reported a total of 422 cases, of which 356 were fatal, in Uige province as of yesterday, the WHO said. The agency didn’t give a total for Angola as a whole. The previous update on Jun 7 said the nation had had 423 cases with 357 deaths. Of those, 412 cases, 346 of them fatal, occurred in Uige province. CIDRAP overview of viral hemorrhagic fevershttp://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/bt/vhf/biofacts/index.html Jun 17 WHO news release on Marburghttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_06_17/en/ Meanwhile, Angola’s struggle with the largest recorded Marburg outbreak continues, the WHO reported today. Tracking of potential Marburg cases and contacts continues, and the task is difficult. Twenty-one contacts are being monitored in Uige city, but another 111 contacts are being followed in other parts of the province, the WHO noted. In addition, a team of healthcare workers was preparing to travel by helicopter to investigate reports of possible Marburg cases in especially remote areas. Jun 17, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – Efforts to contain an outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever appear to be succeeding in the Republic of the Congo, but the longer-running Marburg fever outbreak in Angola is still claiming victims, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). The health ministry and the WHO regional office are working on ongoing infection control and education about Ebola in the affected districts. This has been one of the smallest recorded outbreaks of Ebola since tracking began in the mid-1970s, according to the CIDRAP overview of viral hemorrhagic fevers. See also: “None of these people has been infected,” the WHO reported. Jun 16 WHO news release on Ebolahttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_06_16/en/index.html
Sharing is caring! Share Share LocalNews Tax Free budget? by: – June 10, 2011 33 Views one comment Tweet Share Junior Minister in the Office of the Prime Minister Senator Alvin Bernard. Photo credit: togetherwemust.netDominicans may see another tax free budget when Parliament meets to debate and present the new budget later this month.Junior minister in the Office of the Prime Minister Senator Alvin Bernard says amidst the global financial difficulties Dominica is still able to maintain its social services under the leadership of Prime minister Roosevelt Skerrit .He says government will continue on that trend as a matter of principle and common sense of the future of the country under the Dominica Labour Party.He says this proves to the world that government is very prudent in the manner in which it handles the finances of the country.Bernard was speaking ahead of what might be another tax free budget when Parliament meets on June 29 for the 2011/2012 budget presentation.Bernard says the Yes We Care and Housing programs are proof that the government is able to handle the affairs of the country.Senator Alvin Bernard was speaking on Government In Focus last night.Dominica Vibes News
Those predicting the Canadian dollar will reach parity with its U.S. counterpart this summer may have to revise their forecast, to the end of this week.At last word the loonie was continuing its surge and it opened this morning, at 98 point nine cents U.S.The key in all this is the U.S. Federal Reserve, which continues to hold U.S. interest rates at historic lows hoping to fuel the slow developing American economic recovery.Meantime, speaking of fuel, the price of crude oil is also on the rise again, and at last report was approaching 82 dollars and 50 cents U.S.That could reverse the Canadian gasoline price trend of the past week, as the latest 60 city cross-country survey by Calgary-based MJ Ervin and Associates, shows the national average fell one point two cents a liter to a dollar three point two.However, that is still higher than the common posted price for a regular liter in Fort St. John, which remains at a dollar one point two…and, among the six BC survey cities is second only to Prince George, at 99 point 9 cents a liter.BC-Gas-Prices-dot-com has the provincial average over a dollar and eight cents a litre, for the second consecutive week…nearly 15 cents higher than this time last year. – Advertisement –
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest This picture is a stump of a Christmas tree I cut down last December on my family’s farm in northwest Ohio. My niece noticed the heart-shape and asked me to take a photo. I didn’t think much of it at the time, but it caught my attention later as I scrolled though my phone photos.As I looked at the photo more, I began to see it as a symbol of the farm that is more than just a place of labor or source of income. My heart is in it. The family farm — the soil, weeds, trees, buildings, wet spots, the critters that roam it, all of it — is a part of me. And no matter where I go or what I do, that farm will always be there. I know that most of you feel the same way.Now, imagine that this piece of you — your farm — was devastated despite your best efforts to save it. That is exactly what happened to many farmers in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas and Colorado when horrific wildfires blackened the landscape to the distant horizon burning more than a million acres and claiming the lives of thousands of cattle. That piece of them that is also their life and their livelihood has been irreparably destroyed.When you read the stories and see the pictures of farmers and ranchers affected by the horrific wildfires in the west, it affects you. It is hard to be a part of the agricultural community and not want to do something. Many Ohioans are, because as it turns out, at the heart of agriculture is a helping hand.Rose Hartschuh and her husband, Greg, farm in Crawford County, where they raise corn, soybeans, and dairy cattle. They are planning a late March trip to the wildfire area to deliver supplies and lend some helping hands to the relief effort.“It really started by reading the stories of these ranchers out west, specifically the ones in Texas who gave their lives protecting their animals. People do not understand how much farmers care about what they do. Those people really demonstrated that in a tangible way. They gave their lives to protect their livestock. I was just feeling like we needed to do something,” Rose said. “We started with a contribution of hay but it seems like there was more we could do if we were going to make the trip clear out there and do some things to make a lasting impact. We put an ask out on Facebook to see who would be interested in joining us and we were blown away by the response. From there we started putting together some plans. We reached out to the Kansas Livestock Association and they have been instrumental in helping us develop a plan for our time in Kansas and help fine tune the details.”The area has already received substantial amounts of hay from farms around the country and now the greatest need may be fencing.“It seems like they have a fairly good supply of hay. There is some need for some trucking to pick up hay and deliver it to where it needs to be. Fencing seems to be the biggest need so we are collecting fencing supplies like t-posts and barbed wire. Another need is cash. A lot of us have the desire to do something physical but money is just as important,” she said. “It sounds like fence building is going to be a pretty big project we are going to undertake. The Livestock Association is going to put us in touch with some ranchers who need help getting back on their feet. We hope while we are there we can make a difference in that way.”As it stands, there is quite a group from Ohio heading to Ashland, Kansas.“We anticipate over 30 vehicles of hay and supplies and 50 volunteers coming from all corners of the state,” Hartschuh said. “Many of the hay haulers will turn right around and head back to their other responsibilities in Ohio. Approximately 25 of us are staying in Kansas with host families to volunteer our time and talents for a few days.”I am very fortunate to be able to go along with the Hartschuh group later this week to help with the effort. Be sure to follow along with me at ocj.com and the Facebook page. It looks to be a grand adventure to help out on the farms of some folks in need.Any additional donations to the group will be used to fund travel and to pay hauling costs for the Ohio-donated hay. Funds left at the end of the project will be donated directly to the Kansas Livestock Association.“Our plan right now is to pay for our group’s fuel and hopefully lodging there and on the way back, if donations allow,” she said.PayPal donations for the Ohio group can be made at paypal.me/KansasWildfires, or checks can be made out to Ohio’s Kansas Rancher Wildfire Relief Efforts and mailed to 6348 Parks Road, Sycamore, OH 44882.Stay tuned.
A man was beaten to death in Mokama area near here for alleged theft of cattle, the police said on Tuesday.According to the police, the incident took place on Monday night when some persons belonging to Barahpur village entered More village with the alleged intention to steal cattle. “While the cattle were being untethered, some villagers woke up and started chasing the alleged thieves. The villagers caught hold of one of them while the rest managed to escape,” locals told the police. The villagers mercilessly beat the suspected thief with sticks, the police said. He was admitted to a hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries, the police added.
The Supreme Court will on Monday examine the Delhi Police’s affidavit on the pre-dawn swoop at Ramlila Maidan in Delhi denying allegations that it had used force to evict yoga guru Ramdev and his supporters from the site.A bench of justices P Sathasivam and A K Patnaik is also likely to take up a petition filed by advocate Ashok Agarwal seeking direction to the City Police Commissioner to deposit the 42 CCTV cameras allegedly seized from the site after the swoop.However, in an affidavit filed before the court, the city police claimed that no force was used against the protesters but only eight teargas shells were fired on Ramdev’s supporters after they turned violent and started pelting stones on the cops.Justifying its action, police said the authorities had allowed permission to Ramdev to use the ground only to hold yoga camp and not for any other purpose.It said that instead of holding yoga camp, Ramdev was instigating the crowd during his fast on the issue of corruption and black money at the ground where more than 20,000 people had gathered.Delhi Police had filed the response following a direction of the apex court which took suo motu cognisance of the crackdown and had directed it to explain why it resorted to such action against Ramdev and his supporters.However, advocate Agarwal alleged that after the swoop police forcibly took away the hard disk and 42 CCTV cameras from the residence of Vipin Mittal from Savitri Colony at Malviya Nagar, who is the owner of ‘Sai’ Company dealing with CCTV cameras.advertisementHe claimed the cameras were seized by police to destroy vital evidence relating to the alleged brutal crackdown.Agarwal also sought an inquiry by a Special Investigation Team and adequate compensation to 51-year-old woman Raj Bala who was critically injured in the alleged police lathicharge.- With PTI inputsFor more news on India, click here.For more news on Business, click here.For more news on Movies, click here.For more news on Sports, click here.
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Atletico Madrid boss Simeone: Incredible Ronaldo an animalby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveAtletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone admits it’s difficult to prepare to face Cristiano Ronaldo.Ronaldo and Juventus are in Madrid for Wednesday’s Champions League opener.Simeone said, “It’s difficult to prepare something against a player, he’s an animal in front of goal.”He has an incredible record and in any situation near the box, he’s dangerous. He’s not easy to control, he has it all.”We suffer and sometimes it’s our turn to win, and other times we lose, but he’s an animal in front of goal.”Cristiano will travel to the Estadio Wanda Metropolitano for a second time and Simeone clearly feels that the stadium could influence the game.”In order to play a complete game, you have to go out there with hope, although sometimes the other way around when we are doing badly,” he said when asked about the atmosphere.
zoom The UK’s attention is switching to the future role of its ports, harbours and seafarers, which is expected to gain importance as the nation launches Brexit talks.The focus is turning to a rise in world trade, which is likely to increase the 95% of imports and exports that currently pass through UK’s sea ports. This is coupled with the continued growth of merchant ships, in terms of size, and the UK’s dependence on imported oil, gas and biofuel.Additionally, the nation’s passenger numbers on cruise ships and ferries look set to continue to grow, albeit with industry concerns voiced about the need to retain agreeable border control relationships with UK’s European neighbours.“As so often in our history when facing political and international pressures, our relationship with the sea provides the strong and enduring stage from which our island and its people can make their mark, whether in trade, defence or diplomacy,” Commodore Barry Bryant, Director General of Seafarers UK, said.“Our unique situation and the quality of our maritime offerings in seafaring people, port and supply chain operations and financial services remains second to none and give us a strong negotiating hand,” Bryant added.Commenting on UK’s future customs and trading arrangements, Mark Simmonds, the British Ports Association’s Policy Manager, said that the new customs arrangements should prioritise trade facilitation and look to replicate the benefits of the EU Customs Union.UK ports support 344,000 jobs ashore, handling almost 500 million tonnes of freight and more than 60 million passengers every year, according to Maritime London.